Please feel free to add your comments and share your stories about Piatt Castles. Whether you visited when you were a child, gave tours when you were in high school, were married on the grounds, or had any other experience here we'd love to hear how Piatt Castles has played a role in your life. All of your stories together make up our story.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Blogging in 1916

It seems a little odd to be blogging about putting together an exhibit.  I mean, I find it pretty interesting work, but that doesn't mean anyone else should care.   I still think it's weird, but aparently there's a long tradition of this anomoly.  On May 1, 1916 William McCoy Piatt had this notice printed in the Daily Examiner:


PIATT SOUVENIR BOOK IN PRESS
    
William Piatt, of Mac-a-cheek, was in
Bellefontaine on Monday.  He is having a
catalogue of his large collection of valuable
relics printed in the Ginn shop.  Visitors to
Mac-a-heek will have an opportunity to view
this collection as soon as the season opens.
 

When I read it I thought, "why the heck did he put this in the paper?"  Then I thought, "oh, I should put that in the blog."  Then I laughed out loud.  

For the past 100 years we've been working to connect what we do to the community around us.  In 2012 that community is so much larger than William McCoy ever could have imagined when he opened his home for tours in 1912, but our goals are the same.  Piatt Castles is full of great stories and fascinating artifacts.  William McCoy wanted to share those stories and artifacts with his neighbors, and we want to share them with you.

The catalog mentioned in the news clipping will be featured in the new exhibits we're creating about the centennial.  It is amazing to see how much has changed and how much has stayed the same.

Cover page from William McCoy Piatt's 1916 Souvenir Book

5 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see this book. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marguerite Piatt ChatfieldMarch 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM

    I am Marguerite Piatt Chatfield and William McCoy Piatt was my Great Grandfather. He passed away four years before I was born. My earliest recollections of Mac-A-Cheek are visiting his two daughters who lived there, Juliet Bertha, (known to me as Aunt Bertie) and Aunt Marguerite,( whom I was named after). My family would go there often and there are many great memories of the fun times. It's a grand old place and there has always been some grand people who live there. This blog should be fun and interesting to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marguerite -

      It's wonderful to hear from you! We will be having a 100th Birthday Party for the Castles over Labor Day weekend, and we would love to see you there if it is possible. In addition, we are working this year to collect stories and memories about the Castles in our Oral History project. Margaret Piatt is coordinating both of these events, and she will be in touch with you soon.

      Delete
  3. I came to see the castles many years ago with my parents, I didn't appreciate them then, my father loved them. I recently lost him and it then I started remembering how many times he visited them. I want to bring my grandchildren there to visit. I can hardly wait until summer break. I will be following your blog. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marguerite Piatt ChatfieldApril 1, 2012 at 7:28 AM

    Remembering Aunt Marguerite ~~ she passed away when I was about eight years old so there are precious few years that I knew her. She loved to drive around the country side in her car. Sometimes, when my family went there to visit, the children would stay at Mac-A-Cheek while she and my mother went for a drive. They were very close friends.
    She had a piano and I was the only child allowed to touch it. She would give me a cloth and tell me that if I dusted it, I could play it. She told me that a soft cloth would not scratch it, never use anythinig else. When I played it, I was told to never bang on the keys. If she left the room, she would tell me to keep playing, " I'll be listening ".
    Her favorite way to pray was to the Infant of Prague. After she passed away, Aunt Bertie gave me a chaplet of The Infant of Prague that had belonged to her. I still have this little string of prayer beads. ~~~~Fond memories ~~~~ Wonderful lady~~~~

    ReplyDelete